School of Mechanical
It has been a privilege a look back of 30 years of Aeronautical, Automobile, Mechanical and Mechatronics when there is so much to feel proud of and so much to celebrate. Past years have been extremely successful and satisfying in terms of accomplishments and accolades in scholastic, co-scholastic and infrastructural development areas.
The School of Mechanical Engineering consist of four core departments which includes, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Department of Mechatronics Engineering, Department of Aeronautical Engineering and Department of Automobile Engineering. The department have state of the art laboratory and research facilities which enables students and faculty members to carry out outstanding research activities. The vision of the school is to provide high quality education in the field of mechanical engineering, thereby enabling the students to meet the requirements of the industry and also to create research centres to help industry and society. The school of mechanical engineering always strives to collaborate with national and international institutions to excel in its academic pursuit.
I feel proud to acknowledge the contribution of highly qualified, dynamic and multi-talented faculty, non-teaching faculty and my students for this. Our School of Mechanical has primary objective to create a conducive and compassionate environment for overall development of students in curricular & co-curricular activities to need for the society.
The Department of Automobile Engineering at Satyabhama Institute of Science and Technology was started in the year 2008 and is offering a four-year undergraduate program. Since then the Department has been doing service to the Automobile Engineering community, by providing necessary training and instruction to enable the young engineers to participate in the development of national economy, particularly in transport sector. The department has well qualified faculty members with academic and industrial experience. Our staff members have published research articles in International journals, National journals and presented papers in International and National conferences. In order to encourage and promote the various extracurricular activities of the students, Auto club is formed which focus on the student’s activities. Students are encouraged to participate in various inter collegiate/ university sports, workshops & seminars conducted by various colleges & organizations. Industrial visits and guest lectures are organized regularly in addition to the regular curriculum to keep them abreast with the recent advances in the technology
- Funded Projects
Department of Automobile Engineering constantly encourages faculty and student community to actively participate in sponsored projects from various funding agencies and carry out research activities in major thrust areas in the field of Automobile and mechanical engineering
The faculty and students of the Department of Automobile Engineering are constantly engaged in research activities and motivated to publish their research findings in the peer-reviewed national and international journals, conferences and book chapters.
Department of Automobile Engineering encourages faculty and students to develop innovative, intellectual and engineered projects, and extend the support for filing their innovative ideas conserved by intellectual property rights (IPR), and help in product conversion
- The Department of Automobile Engineering aims for inculcating technical excellence in faculty members and students. Create effective and competent technical manpower, to cater the global industrial needs and to promote research to meet the need of the society
- To offer Under-Graduate program in automobile engineering enriched with skill development courses that add value to student competencies.
- To promote quality education, research and consultancy for industrial and societal needs.
- To inculcate moral and ethical values among the students.
- PEO1: Exhibit problem solving skills to solve industry technological problems with innovative methods, tools and demonstrate application of sound engineering foundation to be a committed workforce.
- PEO2: Engage themselves in research activities such as technology development and deployment, automotive system implementation towards optimal design and manufacturing.
- PEO3: Be competent enough to be engineering practitioners and leaders, entrepreneurs capable of working across Multi – functional teams.
- PEO4: Function in their profession with the highest degree of ethical practice and social responsibility and will pursue lifelong learning to achieve career goals.
- PO1 Engineering knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
- PO2 Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences
- PO3 Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
- PO4 Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
- PO5 Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
- PO6 The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice
- PO7 Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development
- PO8 Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
- PO9 Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
- PO10 Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- PO11 Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
- PO12 Life-long learning: Recognize the need for and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change
- PSO1 Graduates will demonstrate their knowledge and skill to solve the problems related to design and manufacturing to fulfill the industry needs.
- PSO2 Graduates will be competent enough in theoretical and practical aspects to identify, analyse and solve problems related to automotive systems in real time scenario.
- PSO3 Graduates will exhibit professionalism, ethical attitude and managerial skills to become successful Technocrats and Entrepreneurs
- Well qualified and dedicated faculty members with specialization in diverse domains.
- Fully equipped laboratories with state of the art equipments.
- Students are involved in the funded research projects of the department.
- Students are mentored to become incubates in Technology Business Incubator (TBI).
- Faculty and students have done research yielding patents and innovative products.
- Industry Institution Interaction (III) has led to receiving cars and engines from leading automotive industries like Ford, Hyundai, BMW, Mahindra & Mahindra, etc.
- Faculty members have published high impact journal papers.
- Faculty members are reviewers in reputed journals.
- The students undergo semester abroad programmes and summer workshops in reputed foreign institutions.
- Faculty and students are involved in collaborative research with reputed international institutions.
- The students participate in Autoclub and Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) activities.
- The department is associated with Automotive Research Association of India (ARAI), Pune and has access to the ARAI Knowledge Centre.
- The department arranges for internships and industrial visits for students in leading industries.
- The department has Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with TVS – Training Services and Institute of Industrial Design (IID), for training and certification of students and bridging the Industry – Institution gap.
- Regularly Department of Science and Technology (DST), Government of India sponsored symposium, workshop and conference are conducted.
Sathyabama Institute of Science and Technology places emphasize on co-curricular and extracurricular activities These activities are student centered and primarily aims to supplement regular curricular activities.Its goal is to represent the student body in making the study experience as rewarding and enjoyable as possible.
- Academic Calendar
- Course Material
- Dr. Jeppiaar Remibai Scholarship
- Secured Student Portal
- Advisory Bureau for Higher Studies
- Student Development Cell
- Student Chapter
- Counselling Services
- Help Desk
- Anti Ragging Cell
- Women Grievance Cell
- SC / ST Cell
- Industry Institute Interaction Cell
- Anti - Discrimination Cell
- Students Grievance Redressal Cell
- Student Achievements
- Student Handbook
Centre for Academic Partnership & International Relations is an initiative of Sathyabama Institute of Science and Technology devoted to promote academic alliances with Universities and Institutes at National and International level. The Centre establishes a link through Memorandum of Understanding to facilitate Research Collaboration, Student Exchange Programmes and Faculty Exchange Programmes.
- Collaboration and MOU's
- Name of the partnering Organization: TVS-Training Services (TVS - TS)
- Type of MoU: Students Training and Internship
- Name of Partnering Organization: Institute of Industrial Design (IID)
- Type of MoU: Domain oriented Software training, internship and project assistance.
Engine Testing facility
Testing the operating behavior of internal combustion engines is the common purpose of engine test stands. Various parameters like fuel consumption or exhaust gas behavior were generally measured as a function of torque and rotary speed and mapped in an engine performance map
The test cell for automobile engine is the equipment in which performance checks are conducted after maintenance of an engine, and checks the operating condition of each section, adjustment of each part before loading to the engine mount etc., by a trial run of the engine
Vehicle maintenance and reconditioning lab
Vehicle Maintenance involves the process of servicing the vehicle, brake analysis and the basic maintenance equipment’s needed for the vehicle. In-Vehicle Reconditioning, different reconditioning equipment are used. It is the process of readjusting, recalibrating and re- machining the vehicle components to bring back its original or nearer to original condition.
Fuels and lubricants lab
In Fuels and Lubricants Laboratory, different fuel testing equipment's are available. Using these facility students can measure viscosity, flash point, fire point, pour point, cloud point, calorific value, ash content, carbon residue, and aniline point of any fuel.
Automotive electrical and electronics lab
The students will be introduced to the testing procedures for electrical and electronics system in automobile. The students will be trained to identify, demonstrate and compare the various components and systems of Automobile electrical systems. The rectification and troubleshooting of faults in electrical and electronics systems and its maintenance will be done
Automotive engine and chassis components
In Automotive chassis components and engine components Laboratory various components of Automotive Chassis and engine parts are available. Using these facility students can dismantle, assemble and study the constructional features and working principle of various components of the vehicle and engine.
Two-wheeler and three-wheeler lab
In two wheeler and three wheeler lab students learn to dismantle, assemble vehicles and study the constructional features and working principle of various components of the vehicle.
Project Demonstration of Students in Confederation of Indian Industries (Cii) Conference
Students along with faculty members participated in Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE), SAE BAJA competition in 2012