School of Mechanical
It has been a privilege a look back of 30 years of Aeronautical, Automobile, Mechanical and Mechatronics when there is so much to feel proud of and so much to celebrate. Past years have been extremely successful and satisfying in terms of accomplishments and accolades in scholastic, co-scholastic and infrastructural development areas.
The School of Mechanical Engineering consist of four core departments which includes, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Department of Mechatronics Engineering, Department of Aeronautical Engineering and Department of Automobile Engineering. The department have state of the art laboratory and research facilities which enables students and faculty members to carry out outstanding research activities. The vision of the school is to provide high quality education in the field of mechanical engineering, thereby enabling the students to meet the requirements of the industry and also to create research centres to help industry and society. The school of mechanical engineering always strives to collaborate with national and international institutions to excel in its academic pursuit.
I feel proud to acknowledge the contribution of highly qualified, dynamic and multi-talented faculty, non-teaching faculty and my students for this. Our School of Mechanical has primary objective to create a conducive and compassionate environment for overall development of students in curricular & co-curricular activities to need for the society.
Our Top Recruiters
The Department of Automobile Engineering at Sathyabama Institute of Science and Technology was started in the year 2008 and is offering a four-year undergraduate program. Since then the Department has been doing service to the Automobile Engineering community, by providing necessary training and instruction to enable the young engineers to participate in the development of national economy, particularly in transport sector. The department has well qualified faculty members with academic and industrial experience. Our staff members have published research articles in International journals, National journals and presented papers in International and National conferences. In order to encourage and promote the various extracurricular activities of the students, Auto club is formed which focus on the student’s activities. The SAE Collegiate club is vibrant with activity throughout the year, with students participating with various SAE events like SAE BAJA, Supra, etc. By participating in the SAE events students inculcate technical skills and team spirit. Students are encouraged to participate in various inter collegiate/ university sports, workshops & seminars conducted by various colleges & organizations. Industrial visits and guest lectures are organized regularly in addition to the regular curriculum to keep them abreast with the recent advances in the technology
- Funded Projects
Department of Automobile Engineering constantly encourages faculty and student community to actively participate in sponsored projects from various funding agencies and carry out research activities in major thrust areas in the field of Automobile and mechanical engineering. Faculty members have carried out funded research projects worth of over One Crore Rupees, sponsored by Ministry of Steel, Indira Gandhi Centre for Atomic Research (IGCAR), Department of Atomic Energy, Atomic Energy Regulatory Board (AERB), Department of Science and Technology (DST), Government of India.
The faculty and students of the Department of Automobile Engineering are constantly engaged in research activities and motivated to publish their research findings in the peer-reviewed national and international journals, conferences and book chapters.
Department of Automobile Engineering encourages faculty and students to develop innovative, intellectual and engineered projects, and extend the support for filing their innovative ideas conserved by intellectual property rights (IPR), and help in product conversion
- The Department of Automobile Engineering aims for inculcating technical excellence in faculty members and students. Create effective and competent technical manpower, to cater the global industrial needs and to promote research to meet the need of the society
- To offer Under-Graduate program in automobile engineering enriched with skill development courses that add value to student competencies.
- To promote quality education, research and consultancy for industrial and societal needs.
- To inculcate moral and ethical values among the students.
- PEO1: Exhibit problem solving skills to solve industry technological problems with innovative methods, tools and demonstrate application of sound engineering foundation to be a committed workforce.
- PEO2: Engage themselves in research activities such as technology development and deployment, automotive system implementation towards optimal design and manufacturing.
- PEO3: Be competent enough to be engineering practitioners and leaders, entrepreneurs capable of working across Multi – functional teams.
- PEO4: Function in their profession with the highest degree of ethical practice and social responsibility and will pursue lifelong learning to achieve career goals.
- PO1 Engineering knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
- PO2 Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences
- PO3 Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
- PO4 Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
- PO5 Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
- PO6 The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice
- PO7 Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development
- PO8 Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
- PO9 Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
- PO10 Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- PO11 Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
- PO12 Life-long learning: Recognize the need for and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change
- PSO1 Graduates will demonstrate their knowledge and skill to solve the problems related to design and manufacturing to fulfill the industry needs.
- PSO2 Graduates will be competent enough in theoretical and practical aspects to identify, analyse and solve problems related to automotive systems in real time scenario.
- PSO3 Graduates will exhibit professionalism, ethical attitude and managerial skills to become successful Technocrats and Entrepreneurs
• Well qualified and dedicated faculty members with specialization in diverse domains.
• Fully equipped laboratories with state of the art equipments.
• Students are involved in the funded research projects of the department.
• Students are mentored to become incubates in Technology Business Incubator (TBI).
• Faculty and students have done research yielding patents and innovative products.
• Industry Institution Interaction (III) has led to receiving cars and engines from leading automotive industries like Ford, Hyundai, BMW, Mahindra & Mahindra, etc.
• Faculty members have published high impact journal papers.
• Faculty members are reviewers in reputed journals.
• The students undergo semester abroad programmes and summer workshops in reputed foreign institutions.
• Faculty and students are involved in collaborative research with reputed international institutions.
• The students participate in Autoclub and Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) activities.
• The department is associated with Automotive Research Association of India (ARAI), Pune and has access to the ARAI Knowledge Centre.
• The department arranges for internships and industrial visits for students in leading industries.
• The department has Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with TVS – Training Services and Institute of Industrial Design (IID), for training and certification of students and bridging the Industry – Institution gap. The department has Memorandum of Understanding with Universiti Malaysia Perlis, Malaysia for academic and research collaboration.
• Regularly Department of Science and Technology (DST), Government of India sponsored symposium, workshop and conference are conducted.
Sathyabama Institute of Science and Technology places emphasize on co-curricular and extracurricular activities These activities are student centered and primarily aims to supplement regular curricular activities.Its goal is to represent the student body in making the study experience as rewarding and enjoyable as possible.
Centre for Academic Partnership & International Relations is an initiative of Sathyabama Institute of Science and Technology devoted to promote academic alliances with Universities and Institutes at National and International level. The Centre establishes a link through Memorandum of Understanding to facilitate Research Collaboration, Student Exchange Programmes and Faculty Exchange Programmes.
- Collaboration and MOU's
- Name of the partnering Organization: TVS-Training Services (TVS - TS)
- Type of MoU: Students Training and Internship
This MoU was initiated by the Department of Automobile Engineering for the benefit of students belonging to the School of Mechanical Engineering, who shall be given state of art technical training, industry certification, and placement assistance.
- Name of Partnering Organization: Institute of Industrial Design (IID)
- Type of MoU: Domain oriented Software training, internship and project assistance.
The Business Head - Institute of Industrial Design Salem, Mr.Ragunathan R, and Dr.T.Sasiprabha, Vice-Chancellor of Sathyabama Institute of Science and Technology signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU). This MoU was initiated by the Department of Automobile Engineering for the benefit of students belonging to the School of Mechanical Engineering, who shall be given state of art in conceptual design, styling & New product development, training, industry certification, and placement assistance.
- Name of the partnering Organization: Universiti Malaysia Perlis, Malaysia
- Type of MoU: Academic and research collaboration.
The Vice-Chancellor of Universiti Malaysia Perlis (UniMAP) Prof. TS. Dr. Zaliman Sauli, and Dr.T.Sasiprabha, Vice-Chancellor of Sathyabama Institute of Science and Technology signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on 15.02.2022. This MoU was initiated by the Department of Automobile Engineering for the benefit of students belonging to the School of Mechanical Engineering, who shall be given a collaborative study in various domains.
Engine Testing facility
Testing the operating behavior of internal combustion engines is the common purpose of engine test stands. Various parameters like fuel consumption or exhaust gas behavior were generally measured as a function of torque and rotary speed and mapped in an engine performance map
The test cell for automobile engine is the equipment in which performance checks are conducted after maintenance of an engine, and checks the operating condition of each section, adjustment of each part before loading to the engine mount etc., by a trial run of the engine
Vehicle maintenance and reconditioning lab
Vehicle Maintenance involves the process of servicing the vehicle, brake analysis and the basic maintenance equipment’s needed for the vehicle. In-Vehicle Reconditioning, different reconditioning equipment are used. It is the process of readjusting, recalibrating and re- machining the vehicle components to bring back its original or nearer to original condition.
Fuels and lubricants lab
In Fuels and Lubricants Laboratory, different fuel testing equipment's are available. Using these facility students can measure viscosity, flash point, fire point, pour point, cloud point, calorific value, ash content, carbon residue, and aniline point of any fuel.
Automotive electrical and electronics lab
The students will be introduced to the testing procedures for electrical and electronics system in automobile. The students will be trained to identify, demonstrate and compare the various components and systems of Automobile electrical systems. The rectification and troubleshooting of faults in electrical and electronics systems and its maintenance will be done
Automotive engine and chassis components
In Automotive chassis components and engine components Laboratory various components of Automotive Chassis and engine parts are available. Using these facility students can dismantle, assemble and study the constructional features and working principle of various components of the vehicle and engine.
Two-wheeler and three-wheeler lab
In two wheeler and three wheeler lab students learn to dismantle, assemble vehicles and study the constructional features and working principle of various components of the vehicle.
"The Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) Collegiate Club was inaugurated on 27th September 2022 for the academic year 2022 - 2023. The inauguration was presided over by Mr. J. Arul Selvan, Vice President, Sathyabama Institute of Science and Technology, and launched the SAE BAJA Team - "ARION". A keynote address was delivered by Mr. Mayank Arora, Founder and CEO, Elite Techno Groups, Bengaluru. Mr. Mayank Arora highlighted the benefits of joining SAE and participating in SAE events and the takeaways.
A one-day placement focused seminar on getting ready for industry was organized exclusively for the students of School of Mechanical Engineering and SAE Collegiate Club Members on 27th September 2022. The resource person Mr. Mayank Arora, Founder and CEO, Elite Techno Groups, Bengaluru emphasized the need for budding engineers to upskill themselves and get certified by industries so as to enable them to get selected by leading industries.
The Department of Automobile Engineering, Department of Civil Engineering and Department of Biotechnology jointly conducted an expert talk on "10 Steps to Become Entrepreneurs" on 15th September 2022; to commemorate "Engineer's Day". The students from School of Mechanical Engineering and other Schools participated in the session. The domain expert Dr. E. Bhaskaran, Joint Director (Engineering), Department of Tamil Nadu, briefed the students about the procedure of becoming an entrepreneur and availing the various schemes offered by Government of India and Government of Tamil Nadu. The role and responsibilities of Engineers towards the society and in growth of the nation were highlighted.
The Department of Automobile Engineering organized an expert talk titled "Orientation on Automotive Styling" on 05-07-2022, for the benefit of students of the School of Mechanical Engineering, who are aspiring to pursue designing as a career. The expert Er. P. K. Venkataramana, Vice President, IID, Chennai, explained the different processes involved in the designing and styling of the vehicles. The importance of industrial design which includes Automotive sketching, prototyping (using clay model/3D printing), reverse engineering, product styling and Ergonomics was highlighted.
The Department of Automobile Engineering organized an expert talk titled " Key Automotive Trends & Opportunities in Future Mobility " on 28-06-2022. for the benefit of students of the School of Mechanical Engineering. The expert Er. Manjunath Peddakotla, Director & Chief Engineer, Gannet Engineering highlighted the latest technologies in e mobility. The talk also involved a demonstration with the gadgets used in e vehicles. The students also came to know about the job and internship opportunities in e vehicle sector.
The Department of Automobile Engineering organized an expert talk titled "Dream Admit Strategy for MS in Top 100 Universities" on 21-06-2022. for the benefit of students of the School of Mechanical Engineering, who are aspiring to pursue their MS program abroad. The admission expert Mrs. Jayanthi Jojo from Galvanize Global Education, throwed light on the eligibility requirements for applying for MS abroad and the applying procedure in detail.
The Department of Automobile Engineering organized a guest lecture on the topic "CAE Applications in Automotive Industry". The expert Dr. Balaji Ganeshan, Technical Manager, ESI Software India Pvt. Ltd., discussed the various concept in CAE and illustrated using live case studies from CAE solutions for problems in automotive crash analysis and the CAE solutions in kinematic members in automotive and related sectors. The students from the School of Mechanical Engineering were greatly benefited from the expert talk by getting insight into the CAE solutions in industries.
The department of automobile engineering in association with the institution of engineers conducted the 7 day workshop during 18 -10-2021 to 25-10-2021, focusing on the recent trends and advancements in the automotive industy. Seven eminent speakers hailing from multiple domains from the automotive industry such as R & D, logistics, manufacturing and design shared their experience and shared their views on the future of automotive industry in their respective domains. This interactive session was open to all the students in Sathyabama Institute of Science and Technology.
An alumni talk was conducted on 27-10-2021. The objective of this talk was to promote and pave a pathway for the interaction between the students of Sathyabama Institute of Science and Technology and their successful alumni to share their success story and guide their juniors for a better future in terms of job prospects and higher studies. In this talk, an alumnus who is currently doing his higher studies in Oxford Brookes University, UK, shared his experience with his juniors to formulate a career plan before they complete their graduate degrees. Furthermore, the students who attended this talk were extremely pleased that they got multiple contacts in the industry sector.
Sathyabama Institute of Science and Technology SAE Collegiate club organized an Expert Talk on " Mobility of Armoured Fighting Vehicles (AFV) from the perspective of Running Gear and Suspension" on 26.02.2022 by V. Kavivalluvan, Scientist ‘F’, Running Gear Division, Combat Vehicles R&D Estt. (CVRDE), DRDO, Min of Defence, Avadi, Chennai. The expert talk focus to the students of Sathyabama Institute of Science and Technology, especially for the students from School of Mechanical Engineering. The expert initiated with the introduction to ARMAMENT & COMBAT ENGINEERING (ACE) and Combat Vehicles Research and Development Establishment (CVRDE). The off-road vehicles wheels and traction are explained and illustrated various suspension system for off road vehicles. Students actively involved in discussion with the expert and cleared the queries.
Sathyabama Institute of Science and Technology, Department of Automobile Engineering organized a 5 Days Virtual Workshop on ACHIEVING CARBON NEUTRALITY USING GREEN VEHICLES in collaboration with THE INSTITUTION OF ENGINEERS (INDIA) between 28 February to 4 March, 2022. More than 250 students registered to the workshop and obtained the knowledge in various aspects such as Automotive Regulations for EV's, Concept of electric vehicle and it's challenges, Transition to Electric Mobility in India: barriers, Exploration and Pathways to Powertrain Shift, IPR for innovations and Future scope for electric vehicles using artificial intelligence and machine learning.
A Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) was signed by the Department of Automobile Engineering, School of Mechanical Engineering, Sathyabama Institute of Science and Technology, India and Universiti Malaysia Perlis, Malaysia on 15-02-2022. The main objective of this MOU is to take necessary steps to encourage and promote co-operation in the areas like collaboartive research, publication, seminars, conferences, workshops and student - faculty exchange programmes.
Project Demonstration of Students in Confederation of Indian Industries (Cii) Conference
Students along with faculty members participated in Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE), SAE BAJA competition in 2012