School of Building and Environment
School of Building and Environment, consistently ranks amongst the best schools in Architecture and Civil Engineering in the city. Having completed twenty-five years of its journey in the field of education, it is time to pause and reflect the milestones of the past. With a humble start with thirteen students in 1993, the school now offers undergraduate programs in Architecture, Civil Engineering, and Design. Postgraduate programmes are offered in Building Management, Sustainable Architecture, and Structural Engineering along with Doctoral Research. The school focuses on experiential learning with critical thinking processes, innovation, research and continuous modification of teaching methodologies in order to make our students ready to face the challenges of the future.
The learning experience in the School is enhanced by regular interaction with practitioners in the industry. The school believes in providing the students with the freedom to express and grow their own creative skills with hands-on experiences by organizing workshops, educational tours, industrial visits, seminars and symposiums on a regular basis. The School is committed to serving the needs of society and encourages the students to be sensitive to societal needs. Our faculty members and students are regularly involved in the community and social activities and lead the effort to make a better world through the design of better buildings and cities.
Department of Architecture is considered one of the foremost institutions of Architecture in Tamil Nadu and is recognized as an institute of Architecture all over the world. It is proud of having educated architects who are now placed in renowned architectural firms in India and abroad. Offering the Undergraduate programme since 1993, the department has been recognized nationally for its academic rigor. In a span of 25 years, the school has been able to provide quality Architectural education. The Postgraduate programs in Architecture with a specialization in Building Management was introduced in the year 2006 and Sustainable Architecture in the year 2014. The Department aims to evolve into an insightful school of architectural thought by imparting holistic education and to develop architects of high personal integrity and values focusing on human, socio-cultural, environmental, scientific and technological, aesthetic and philosophical values. The faculty consists of full-time core and visiting faculty ensuring a higher faculty-student ratio. Contributions of leading practitioners from across the country have been of immense strength to the department. The long-term goal of the Architecture Department is to develop the department into a Centre for Architectural Excellence, focusing on the latest trends in architectural education, practices, and research.
Achieve academic excellence through creative and critical thinking, design, innovation and research, in order to face the challenges of the contemporary world.
- Nurture students in exploring architectural skills, critical thinking, creativity in design and their expressions.
- Integrating research skills and critical inquiry throughout the curriculum along with innovative teaching pedagogy.
- Create a platform to collaborate on projects in developing innovative strategies in the built environment
- Involve students in community and social activities to make them sensitive to society and their responsibilities towards it.
- PO1 Architectural Knowledge: Demonstrate competence in Architectural Design fundamentals and principles.
- PO2 Problem Analysis: Identify, formulate, analyze and solve complex design problems with designing knowledge and technical competencies.
- PO3 Design/Development of Solutions: Design solutions for complex, open-ended design problems and to design systems, components or processes that meet statutory needs with health, safety, risk, economic, environmental, cultural and societal considerations.
- PO4 Conducting Investigations of Complex Problems: Conduct investigations of complex design problems by qualitative & quantitative analysis of data and validate with conclusions.
- PO5 Modern Tool Usage: Select and apply drafting, visualization, and building information modelling tools along with appropriate techniques and resources for designing with an understanding of the limitations.
- PO6 The Architect and Society: Analyze the social and environmental aspects of construction activities with an understanding of sustainability and environmental impact assessment.
- PO7 Environment and Sustainability: Understand the impact of architectural solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
- PO8 Ethics: Apply professional ethics, accountability, and equity within the architectural practice.
- PO9 Individual and Teamwork: Work effectively as an individual and as a member or leader in design teams with many stakeholders.
- PO10 Communication: Communicate ideas within the architectural community and with society at large, such as making effective design presentations, case study analysis, design documentation, being able to comprehend and write effective reports, and give and receive clear instructions.
- PO11 Project Management and Finance: Incorporate project finance, economics and business practices in project management. Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the architectural principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects in multidisciplinary environments.
- PO12 Life-long Learning: An ability to update and maintain their competence and contribute to the advancement of knowledge.
PSO1: Ability to evolve architectural solutions by understanding the physiological, socio-cultural, political, and economic needs of the end users.
PSO2: Ability to understand, suggest and coordinate with professionals from various disciplines involved in creation of the built environment.
PSO3: Awareness and sensitivity to the relationships between oneself and their environment.
Graduates will be able to
- Solve real time problems through their comprehensive knowledge ranging from the micro to macro level contexts which enable them to recognize and provide sustainable solutions to the users.
- Provide exemplary knowledge on planning, designing and executing architectural projects at the site, neighbourhood and urban level.
- Demonstrate leadership quality and effectively undertake responsibilities within their profession and dynamically contribute as part of an organization or as entrepreneurs
- Follow the practices associated with the architectural profession and facilitate the solutions through excellence in research and active participation in various professional societies and educational institutions
- Dedicated and experienced faculty members
- State of art infrastructure facilities and conducive environment for hands on training.
- Excellent academic performance of students
- Competent and disciplined students
- Achievements of faculty and students at National and International forums
- Regular interactions with visiting faculty, practicing and eminent architects/ structural engineers
- Regular site visits and tours to enable a rich overall experience of the environment and culture.
- Close collaborations with industrial organizations, NGO’s &various professional bodies
Sathyabama Institute of Science and Technology places emphasize on co-curricular and extracurricular activities These activities are student centered and primarily aims to supplement regular curricular activities.Its goal is to represent the student body in making the study experience as rewarding and enjoyable as possible.
- Academic Calendar
- Course Material
- Dr. Jeppiaar Remibai Scholarship
- Secured Student Portal
- Advisory Bureau for Higher Studies
- Student Development Cell
- Student Chapter
- Counselling Services
- Help Desk
- Anti Ragging Cell
- Women Grievance Cell
- SC / ST Cell
- Industry Institute Interaction Cell
- Anti - Discrimination Cell
- Students Grievance Redressal Cell
- Student Achievements
- Student Handbook
- Collaboration and MOU's
The School of Building and Environment had a number of collaborations with various esteemed organizations:
- Institute for Transportation and Development Policy
- Primentus, Chennai
- Vectorworks Inc., USA
- Engineering Project Management Consultancy and Research Private Limited
- Space Cadd Designers and Constructions
- KKM Soft Private Limited
- Sharon Plywoods
The Studio Classrooms are designed to accommodate studio based activity. This involved lectures, group discussions, case study presentations, concept development, drawing and detailing.
The Library has over 5000+ volumes of books to nurture creativity for our future think-tanks.
The 350-seater auditorium is exclusively located in the architecture department building catering to a number of events, workshops, lectures and development programs.
Student Activity Center
The Student Activity Center is a large working space for the students to brainstorm, exchange ideas, and exhibit their creativity.
Open Air Theater
The Open Air Theater with a 150 seater capacity serves as an alternative zone for learning and interaction.
The Computer Laboratory is fully equipped with 80+ workstations that have the tools to handle varied tasks such as 2D and 3D visualizations, image and video editing, walkthroughs, energy analysis and project management. A large format plottter is also available for printing drawings at the required scale.
The material laboratory is constantly updated with the latest architectural and interior materials for the students to keep abreast with developments in material technology.
Urban Climate and Built Environment Laboratory
The Urban Climate and Built Environment Laboratory is an exclusive facility for students pursuing their post graduation to perform energy and climate based analysis.
The Modelmaking lab helps the students learn the nuances of working with different materials, scales and proportions.
The Services Lab is well equipped for students to get hands on expercience with various architectural and interior services including plumbing & drainage, electrical and HVAC.
The vast construction yard helps in providing students with hands-on exposure to real-life simulations.
MADRAS DAY CELEBRATIONS
Our students and staff members during Madras Day celebrations
VIRTUAL CULTURAL NIGHT
Cultural Night events conducted by our students virtually during quarantine.
WEBINARS - Talks and Events
Web series of talks and lectures conducted by our students during the quarantine.
REUNIX XXV - The silver Jubliee Celebrations and Workshops
Ar. Palinda (Sri Lanka) discussing with our students and staff during REUNIX XXV events.
Faculty Development Programme in Association with Council of Architecture:
URBAN CLIMATE AND BUILT ENVIRONMENT
Our Dean addressing the staff during the Faculty Development Programme.
METHODOLOGY AND EXPLORATION IN ARCHITECTURAL RESEARCH
Valedictory function with Ar. Sathya Prakash Varanashi upon completion of the Faculty Development Programme.
Zonal Level NASA Convention:
Eminent guests addressing our students during Grigora 2018 Zonal Nasa Convention.
Here are few of our students who have been placed in various Architectural offices and companies globally.
|Name of the Alumni||Degree||Position||Placement/Organization|
|P. Karthik Kannan||B.Arch||Architect / Director||KKV group of companies|
|C. Ezhil Maran||B.Arch||Principal Architect||Arann Architects|
|Cynthia Susan Dimpu||B.Arch||Associate||Pithavadian and Partners|
|DHIVYA.J||B.Arch||Assistant professor||Rajalakshmi school of architecture|
|Sriranjani srinivasan||B.Arch||Assistant Professor||MEASI Academy of Architecture|
|Shikhar Singh||B.Arch||Principal architect||a+ud|
|ARUNKUMAR. P||B.Arch||Proprietor||JAK DESIGN'S & BUILD'S|
|Shreelalitha||B.Arch||Asst professor||ISA, Bengaluru|
|Jehu Villavarayar S||B.Arch||Assistant Professor||Mohamed Sathak AJ Academy of Architecture|
|Mahila Christopher||B.Arch||Utility Specialist 2||State of Ohio|
|Judy Vinodhini.M.Ravikumar||B.Arch||Chief Architect||L&T Construction|
|Jeyavel Gandhan||B.Arch||Architect||V Dot Design|
|Sathyabama||B.Arch||Assoc. Prof||Impact school of architecture|
|Monisha Martin||B.Arch||Architect||C R Narayan Rao Architects|
|Kamal Chand||B.Arch||Architect||Kamal Chand|
|Arvind kumar||B.Arch||Director||Designhaaus Pvt. Ltd.|
|Manjari krishnamoorthy||B.Arch||Assistant Professor||SRM IST KTR|
|Avinash S K||B.Arch||Senior BIM Architect||Studio Parametric|
|P.M.Preetha||B.Arch||Senior Architect||R.Chakarapani & Sons|
|Ashwathy Radhakrishnan Nair||B.Arch||Business Development Manager||Starlight Shipping L.L.C|
|P.M.Preetha||B.Arch||Senior Architect||R.Chakarapani & Sons|
|Yasin Ahamed M. S.||B.Arch||Managing Director||4th Dimension Creations Pvt. Ltd.|
|Sathyabama alumni||B.Arch||HOD||Sree Sastha School of Architecture|
|Diwakar Kaushik||B.Arch||Sr General Manager & Lead Masterplanner - South||CBRE|
|Siby||B.Arch||Associate Professor||Acharya Institutions|
|Abraham Abraham||B.Arch||Architect||Hamerkop design studio|
|Lisjo Sunny Thekkanath||B.Arch||Sr. Architect & Technical Coordinator||LANE (Salini Impregilo group of companies)|
|Anushya rajaram||B.Arch||Proprietor||AV Designs|
|T Ganesh Sharada||B.Arch||Regional Transformation Head||Oyo|
|Hanna Raju||B.Arch||Principal Architect||Locus Architecture Studio|
|Henya Stephi||B.Arch||Associate professor||care school of architecture|
|DhivyaJ||B.Arch||Assistant Professor||Rajalakshmi School of Architecture|
|Ibrahim. E||B.Arch||Project Head||AL RAWDHA ENGINEERING CONSULTANTS LLC, SHARJAH, UAE|
|Apeksha Mehra||B.Arch||Assistant Architect||North Delhi Municipal Corporation|
|Arun Madhav M||B.Arch||Chief architect||Rm am architecture|
|Chitra Prabha Karthikeyan||B.Arch||Assistant Professor||Crescent School of Architecture|
|Niharika Shyam||B.Arch||Assistant project lead||Jones Lang LaSalle (JLL)|
|Roopa Sree Ram||B.Arch||Architect||Taamaesek engineering consortium|
|Keerthana k t||B.Arch||Architect||K T Dinesh babu Associates|
|DINESH RAGHAVAN E S||B.Arch||Associate Professor||School of Architecture, Vellore Institute of Technology|
|Juhi Newton||B.Arch||Interior Designer/ Architect||Peril Interiors|
|Mohamed Ashish Gafoor||B.Arch||Principal Architect||ESS EMM DESIGN|
|Name of the Alumni||Degree||Year - Passed Out of Sathyabama||Employment/ Studies Status||Present Employer Name|
|Navin Lucas Sebastian||B.Arch||2016||Entrepreneur||Navin architects|
|Godfrey J||B.Arch||2017||Entrepreneur||G2 architects and interiors|
|Dhivakar Ramachandran||B.Arch||2018||Entrepreneur||Orange Ink's|
|Vignesh k||M.Arch||2018||Entrepreneur||Turn key projects|
|Ramesh pillai||M.Arch||2018||Entrepreneur||Design and build|
|Mohamed Ashish Gafoor||B.Arch||2019||Entrepreneur||ESS EMM DESIGN|
|Samritha Yogesh||B.Arch||2019||Entrepreneur||Fi-desighn and development private limited|
|Judah michal||M.Arch||2019||Entrepreneur||K&J Architects|
Being an architect is the epitome of being an entrepreneur. Here are some of our students who have become budding entrepreneurs in their field.
Basic Design- First Year Studio
Display of models and sheets of students from the first year.
Model- First Year Studio
Pavillion design model by first year students
Paper cup models- First Year Studio
Students making large paper cup structures at the model making workshop.
Documentation and Survey- Second Year Studio
Students with the display of their rural documentation studio sheets.
Terracotta mosaic murals
Students working on a terracotta mosaic mural at our construction yard
Thesis- Final Year
3 dimensional visualization of final year student thesis project
Master artisan teaching students sculpting techniques with terracotta
Structural specialist explaining ferrocement construction techniques
Arch Building Workshop
First year students exploring hands-on traditional arch building techniques.
Bamboo Construction Workshop
Bamboo construction and joinery being taught to students at the construction yard
Rammed Earth Workshop
Our students on site learning about building various rammed earth elements.
The Architecture degree programme have a choice based credit curriculum with syllabi consisting of core theory, studios and Electives. The Program is revised every year to meet the needs and trends of the industry
- General core subjects comprising of Mathematics, Mechanics of Structures, History of Architecture, Theory of Architecture, Building Materials, Urban Housing, Project Management, Specification and Estimation, Contemporary Architecture, Introduction to Human settlements, Professional Practice etc,
- Studio oriented subjects comprising Building Construction, Building Services, Interior Design, Climatic Design, Site Planning, Structures & Construction etc